Re: Plese help with Fatal error

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:49:10 +0200

Dirk Moerenhout wrote:

> To make sure everybody knows what I normally do:
> - I compile linux + ac-patch
> - I compile glibc 2.1.1 against the new kernel
> - I change /usr/include/bits/types.h

There is no point in rebuilding glibc unless you also tune it's view of
__FD_SETSIZE. The reason you need to rebuild glibc is limitations of
FD_SETSIZE, not the kernel. You may perfectly well build a glibc
supporting a trillion of filedescriptors using a machine with a kernel
only supporting a few (100 should be enought) as a build machine.

FD_SETSIZE determines the size of various data types/structures. Most
importantly the fd_set datatype which is used at various places in
glibc.

The kernel seems to be clean from dependencies on FD_SETSIZE now, but I
cannot guarantee it.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker