Equivalent of Apache's ProxyPassReverse? (again)

From: Hiroyuki KUROSAKI <hkuro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:14:26 +0900 (JST)

Hello, all.

I use Squid/2.1.PATCH2, which runs as httpd_accel. Our system is
like below:

Internet ---> xxx.yyy.zzz ---> firewall ---> aaa.bbb.ccc
              Squid server real httpd server (Apache)

If the server aaa.bbb.ccc returns the redirect message (301 or 302)
and it is passed to the clients (it occurs frequently by omitting
the trailing slash of the directory's URL), then they are redirected to
aaa.bbb.ccc directly, It's bad, because the server aaa.bbb.ccc cannot
be accessed from the Internet.

I have found the workaround for the similar problem in FAQ
(Section 20.3), but the case is not just the same. I have found
the messages concerning this subject in the squid-users mailing list
archive on October 1998, but the answer was not satisfactory.

My idea is rewriting Location: header by the combination of
the "ErrorDocument 301" directive and the CGI script on aaa.bbb.ccc.
But I don't want to use any CGIs on aaa.bbb.ccc, and I feel
it is smarter to resolve the problem on xxx.yyy.zzz, since I have
known the Apache's ProxyPassReverse mechanism.

Is there any other way to resolve the problem? Or is there any
patches to Squid or future plans to resolve it?

--
Hiroyuki KUROSAKI
<hkuro@kokugakuin.ac.jp>