Re: Very basic protocol question

From: Juan Carlos Castro y Castro <jcastro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:51:40 -0300

First of all thank everybody (lotsa people) who answered my question. Now there's a
slightly trickier one at the bottom of this message...

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that was it. Thank you! BTW, is there a RFC or something which explains
> > the differences between querying a Web server and querying a proxy?
>
> Yes, try RFC2616. But in this case it was more a matter of which HTTP
> version was being used.
>
> Your first siple approach used HTTP/0.9, which is since long a depreated
> protocol and not normally supported by Squid. Squid requires the use of
> HTTP/1.X to function properly.
>
> Most web servers support HTTP/0.9 from backward compability requirements
> in the HTTP specification.

So I guess, in terms of protocol, Squid IS a honest-to-goodness HTTP server, only a
little more strict. Correct?

Ok, now that this is history, I have a tougher one: Can I query a Squid, telnetting
normally, for a HTTPS page? I mean, no cryptography between the client and Squid,
but only between Squid and the target page? Of course this is generally insecure
and can never be a default setting, but can Squid be tweaked this way? I have a
very real application for such a setting.

Thnx all,