Re: Disabling Downloads -- is it possible ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:30:17 +0200

Kunal H. Parikh wrote:

> We are running Squid Version 2.2 STABLE3. We are on a dial-up
> connection and about 8 machines surfing. Now, when 1 person tries
> downloading a file ( a .zip file or .exe file) the remaining users suffer.

I think the delay pools is what you are looking for. See squid.conf and
squid-users archives on the subject. It can be tuned to limit the total
bandwidth used by each user over a period of time. When they have used
their share (pool limit) then their connections will be throttled to
what you have configured (regain factor). I would probably use a pool
limit of a couple of hundred KB, and a regain factor of 1/3 to 1/2 of
the available bandwidth.

You could also use ACL's to explicitly deny fetching of URLs ending in
.zip or .exe, but that won't stop people from downloading large images
or other large objects.

(of course you can combine both if you like)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker