Re: Need proxy hole help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:59:31 +0200

Stephen Anderson wrote:

> No an unexpected consequence has popped up. A user at our plant location
> is trying to access an IIS secured website on another one of our plant
> site's webservers.

IIS defaults to use NTLM authentication which can't be proxied (not even
by MS-proxy, or IIS for that matter when request authentication needs to
be proxied to a backend service like SQL server).

You have two options:

a) Allow such requests to bypass the proxy. (allow port 80 to be routed
to/from the plant, and use the browsers no-proxy setting)

b) Ask the administrator of the plant server to change to change to
basic authentication (more sensible to eavesdropping, but if the logins
or contents are sensitive then the server should be protected by SSL
anyway).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker