Re: IE not sending correct refresh header?

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:47:24 -0700

At 02:24 PM 7/16/99 , you wrote:
>The problem I am having is that if I am in netscape and hit reload, the
>access.log shows a TCP_MEM_MISS and grabs the page off the server
>instead of cache, which is correct, however, if I am in IE4.0 or 5.0 and
>hit refresh, access.log shows a TCP_MEM_HIT, and loads the page out of
>cache instead of grabbing a fresh copy from the server. It appears that
>when the user hits reload on Netscape squid recognizes it fine, but when
>someone on IE hits refresh it isn't recognizing a 'reload' or 'no-cache'
>being sent.
>
>Has anyone ran into this problem before?

interesting. i'm having the opposite problem: if i reload an object that
should come from the cache, netscape doesn't seem to care, and causes squid
to talk to the origin server again, whereas if I use IE it works properly.

also, if the object expires, squid keeps checking with the origin over and
over again even though the origin provides a valid "Expires" header.

basically, it's a mess.

Jon Drukman
Director Of Technology
GameSpot