Re: http accelerator questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:38:43 +0200

Jon Drukman wrote:

> hitting reload in Netscape 4.6 causes it to recheck the master server, always:

Good. This is what most people expect from the browser.

IE does not send the same header unless it knows it is talking to a
proxy (and apparently not even then in all cases..).

Most people see it as a bug in IE and not Netscape.

There is no standard defining what a user agent should do when the user
pushes the reload button, but I (and most other) beleive that it as a
courtesy to the users should make a end-to-end revalidation of the
object. Users should have some way of making sure they receive the
latest version of the content in a way which is consistent with how the
browser behaves when there is no proxy-cache in the request path.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker