Re: squid and ftp

From: Richard Stagg <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:18:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi Peter,

Squid is an HTTP proxy, not an FTP proxy, so you won't be able to use
ordinary FTP clients with it. You can use FTP when it is embedded in HTTP
(when you FTP using your browser, for example). And I believe some FTP
clients can emulate this to work with HTTP proxies, but I'm afraid I don't
know of any specific examples. (Anyone else?!)

Can I recommend the FTP-gw from the Firewall Toolkit (http://www.fwtk.org)
which is a perfectly adequate FTP proxy.

Rgds
Richard Stagg

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Peter Schulz wrote:

> Hello everbody,
>
> i´m new on squid. So please forgive me if you read my simple question.
> I´ve
> a questions how i can use Squid with ftp:
>
> I´m using Squid 2.0.PATCH2 on a SuSE6.1 linux system. My Problem is HOW
> CAN i tell squid to make FTP requests run. Currently i´m not able to run
> ftp over squid but i can use native ftp just running over my router. I
> know that squid ist just a http <-> ftp gateway and not a ftp proxy.
>
> Hope somebody can help me ...
>
> Regards
> Peter
>

> --
>
> Peter Schulz
> Stadtverwaltung Langen phone +49 6103 203860
> Suedliche Ringstrasse 80 fax +49 6103 203180
> 63225 Langen email pschulz@langen.de
> Germany http://www.langen.de

Richard Stagg
Internet Architect