Re: Problem with proxy hierarchy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:44:52 +0200

Nelson Ferreira Jr. (listas) wrote:

> I did no alteration on the parent host and there isn't a DENY line
> blicking the acceds. When squid starts, It says something like
> "configuring parent my_parent_host ports..." and everything looks fine
> (squid works but don't comunnicate with its parent) . But after some
> minutes I get the warning "detected DEAD parent my_parent_host", although
> both squids are working well (but there is no communication between
> them!).

Is the parent listening to the ICP port?

If the parent is multihomed, make sure you configure your squid to send
requests to the base address of the closest interface on the server, or
configure the parent with udp_incoming_address to only listen to ICP
queries on one IP address.

How much traffic does your proxy have? If it is light (seconds between
each request) then you may want to try one of my patches which changes
how Squid determines if a ICP peer is dead or not. See
http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker