Re: Comments wanted on a Setup/Configuration

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:17:57 -1000 (HST)

Ray Brighenti writes:
> Was just after comments/suggestions for the following possible setup,
>
> PII 450, 256Mb RAM with onboard Adaptec SCSI + Adaptec PCI SCSI + 4 x 4Gb
> SCSI HDDs with FreeBSD
[...]
> Other questions are
> - Is it worth using disk striping at all???

I'd say no from what I've gleaned so far - software disk striping
boosts performance mostly for long sequential reads. With Squid you
will see random access, and hashing should distribute cache across the
3 or 4 drives. If you don't do hardware RAID, there is probably no
benefit from striping.

> - Is it wise to put the OS and Squid on IDE, I mean is there still enough
> activity going to be happening on the drive to warrant a small SCSI instead?

Don't forget an area to store the log files, and a swap area for
emergencies (even though normally you should be running completely in
RAM) - I think that warrants keeping at least part of one SCSI disk for
everything else. I'd say add a 2GB or similar small SCSI for OS &
logs, piggybacked on one of the SCSIs, and spread your cache across 4
complete 4GB drives.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.