no route to host

From: Tobias Wimmer <Wimmer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:03:23 +0200

Hi...

as I'm quite new to this whole proxy stuff I'd really could use some
assistance from someone...

I have one squid running as acting as a parent. A second proxy is located on
a private subnet with no direct connection to the internet (it cannot fetch
from the internet).

For the child I have the following statement in the configuration file

cache_peer x.x.x.x parent 3128 3130 default no-query

which works out pretty fine and should be the correct way (i guess or do I
have the wrong approach?!).

Now my problem is that when the parent proxy can't serve it's child for some
reason (server down, access denied) the child tries to request data directly
which shows a 502 no route to host error message.

No my question is... how can I prevent my child from trying to fetch
directly or how can I pass the Correct error message to the child for
serving the clients.

Thanks to everyone for hints / suggestions...

Bye

Tobias Wimmer