Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:34:57 +0200

Olivier Tourchon wrote:

> I Think it is an administrator's work to show users what can be useful on
> the Internet and what can be useless.

In real life the network managers view of usefulness is quite different
from the end users point of view, and at many locations a policy must be
enforced on the users or they will not care.

> The Internet is a Free Based Communication and Knowledge medium, I'm not
> sure it is such a good idea to let machines do human's work... unless you
> want Microsoft to block access to *.netscape.* and *.*ix.* in Internet
> explorer 6...

It depends a lot on the context.

For an ISP this kind of content filtering does not make much sense
unless the customers ask for it. At an ISP content filtering should be
seen as a service, not a rule.

The situation is however very different in a corporate or educational
site where internet access is primarily seen as a tool and not for
amusement. At such sites content filtering is one of the ways to educate
the users on what they are allowed to use the organisations internet
connection for, and to keep the ignorant abusers away.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker