Re: File Descriptors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:15:21 +0200

Chris Singer wrote:

> I have applied the Alan Cox's patch 12 and tried using the ulimit
> command. The number of FD's hasn't change.

1. Edit /usr/include/bits/types.h to define __FD_SETSIZE to at least the
amount of filedescriptors you want to use.

2. As root
ulimit -HSn 8192
then rebuild squid (./configure ... ; make clean ; make install)

3. You also need run the above ulimit command before starting Squid. If
unsure check the active limits by running "ulimit -HSn" without any
number argument.

You neet to be root to use ulimit to rise the limit above 1024. The
limit however stays rised if you then use su to switch to a non-root
userid.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker