Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Allen Smith <easmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:00:22 -0400

On Jul 23, 11:51pm, Dancer (possibly) wrote:
> It's always ultimately under the control of a human. Humans decide what
> to block. The machine merely does what it is told to do. In my
> experience, blocks, once set are never removed, because the human who
> blocked them no longer cares, and cannot justify the time to check.

The idea that it's ever proper to block information is exactly why,
despite having some (to me, at least) good ideas on improving Squid's
regexp et al code, I don't intend to implement them outside of our
usage (and may not bother inside our usage, since maintaining them
alone would be quite a bit of a headache). I would make an exception
on this if Squid's maintainers made an exception in the license
disallowing this usage, at least of any code I submitted.

Quite simply, I refuse to contribute to censorship. The First
Amendment to the US Constitution (which, BTW, prohibits public
institutions in the US from using censorware, although not all of them
have gotten the message yes) is not just something that should be
applied inside the US - it's a good idea everywhere. (I have,
incidentally, previously participated in making it more difficult for
countries to block controversial information, in this case Neo-Nazi
information which Germany wished to block.)

        -Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu