Re: GET byte-range abuse

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:34:56 +0200

Philippe Strauss wrote:

> A way to stop such abuse, would be to track each request using
> Range: and put all the Ranged request refering the same URL into a delay
> pool, or a bandwidth shaper of any kind.

Range requests is only one way to do this abuse. One other more obvious
one is to run several independent downloads in parallell. There exists
several download tools which allows you to queue a number of downloads
while browsing, and then let downoad all the files in a big batch with a
configurable amount of parallellism. I imagine that one of them now also
features parallellism for one object using Range requests..

> Is it a sensible idea?

Perhaps in some situations, but I am afraid it will only provoke the use
of another request pattern your filter does not match.

A better fix is to change delay pools from delaying individual IPs to
delaying individuals, but doing such a thing most likely requires the
use of proxy authentication to identify the individual user.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker