Re: Squid proxy server and resolver file.

From: Phil Crooker <pcrooker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:31:51 +0930

David Travers wrote:

> Using squid under Redhat Linux 5.2 with 2.2.9 kernel. We have a
> dial-up ISDN routing account for our company. I wish to use the proxy
> features of squid but when I enable the name resolver in
> /etc/resolv.conf, ISDN connections are created even though no one is
> try to make a connection to the net about every 4 mins. Is there
> anyway to stop this from happening, as I would really like to use the
> proxy server. Currently the Linux box has no references in the
> resolver file to our ISP's nameserver, but you need it for squid to
> resolve domain names. Any tips or suggestions would be most
> appreciated.

I had something similar -- an NT box on our network was generating
megatraffic with DNS lookups, there was some setting in NT that tells it
to use DNS for resolving workgroup (or something) addresses. It can be
turned off -- the option, not the NT box, although that would be
effective as well ;-)

Regards