Re: Direct as last resort

From: Antony <antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 16:17:48 +1000

Hi Clifton

> Dumb question here: why wouldn't you *want* this to be the case? If
> the parents end up responding faster to ICP, they're probably going to
> deliver the hits faster too. Isn't that what you want?

Sibling traffic costs us nothing, but getting the traffic from our uplink
(parent) costs us $0.15 per meg of data. Australia typically uses a usage based
pricing model (links are expensive compared to the USA and some other
countries).

Going DIRECT costs us $0.16 per meg which is why I'd like it as a last resort
option.

As a result, I'd rather get the data from the siblings even if it is (slightly)
slower, then PARENT, then DIRECT.

It's purely an ecomomic reason.

Regards,
Antony.

  Antony Healey         ISOC-AU Founding Member         Ph:  +61 2 9834 6055
  General Manager               & Director              Fax: +61 2 9834 6249
  Healey Communications Australia  --  Giving you the world...