How shoud I set refresh_pattern option in squid?

From: Madjid SalimZadeh <salim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:11:29 +0430 (IRST)

There are some refresh_patterns in my squid configuration files. Can
anyone tell me what does it mean? What are the first and second numbers?

refresh_pattern -i . 10800 50% 48000
refresh_pattern -i \.gif$ 10800 50% 48000

How can I set refresh_pattern if I want my gif files never expire and
always be in cache . or some files stay in cache longer?

How can I use override-expire , override-reload , ignore-reload option in
refresh_pattern and what does each one of these options do?

    .--.
   |o_o |
   |:_/ | Majid SalimZadeh
  // \ \ Salim@safineh.net