Q: Trying to understand delay pools

From: Pete Yandell <pete_yandell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to gain an understanding of the working of delay pools, and
the explanations in the various bits of documentation don't seem to make
much sense to me.

In the sample httpd.conf file it says:

  A pair of delay parameters is written restore/maximum, where restore is
  the number of bytes (not bits - modem and network speeds are usually
  quoted in bits) per second placed into the bucket, and maximum is the
  maximum number of bytes which can be in the bucket at any time.

So bandwidth into the bucket is throttled and the bucket has maximum size.
But, logically speaking, what does that mean? Is the data then read by
the client out of the bucket? Or is the bucket just a counter of sorts?
How, if the "restore" parameter represents the bandwidth limit into the
bucket, does the size of the bucket make any difference? I guess what I'm
after is a diagram that has the bucket, the client, the web site being hit
and the pipes that run between these things.

*scratches head*

Pete Yandell
pete@pobox.com.au