Re: squid reconfigure

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:15:45 -1000 (HST)

Anthony Geoffron writes:
> hi all,
>
> Does the following command : squid -k reconfigure is the only thing i
> need to do when I change the squid.conf ? What is the best way to
> restart Squid ? (I want to keep de cache directory)
>
> thanks a lot.
> Anthony

The cache contents *will* always be kept across shutdowns and restarts,
as well as reconfiguration; you can even change the size, add new
directories, etc. They will not be at risk of being cleared unless you
explicitly clear them, or (I think) the server crashes without doing a
squid shutdown.

You can activate many changes but not all via squid -k reconfigure; for
major changes, it's recommended to shutdown and restart. What defines
"major" is apparently undefined unless you know the source code very
well. I have used "squid -k reconfigure" for a number of changes, but
if I'm unsure I use something like "squid -k shutdown; sleep 3; squid".
I also shutdown and restart squid once per week to work around any
possible memory pollution bugs.

Hope this helps,
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.