Re: reconfigure when reducing cache size ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 02:05:12 +0200

Charles Bruneteau wrote:

> yes it's a Squid-2.2STABLE4. Will such a modification (flag
> USE_TRUNCATE_NOT_UNLINK) have a influence on performance?

That can be debated. I guess it depends a lot on the operating system or
filesystem being used. My measurements on Linux showed no noticeable
performance gain from USE_TRUNCATE_NOT_UNLINK.

> Actually there are lots off empty files in the cache directory.

Yes, Squid 2.2 defaults to only truncate files instead of removing them
when reclaiming disk space. This will be rewersed in Squid 2.3 to
default to the old behaviour of using unlink.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker