Re: Redirect local requests to custom error page

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:23:37 +0100

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 10:38:17AM +0100, Harf Zatschler wrote:

> We're trying to make people use our autoconfigure .pac's for their
> browsers.
> These contain the directive that browsers bypass the squid cache for the
>
> local .ic.ac.uk - domain. If however someone does ask squid for a page
> in the .ic.ac.uk domain we want them to get some html page reminding
> people to use the autoconfiguration. The question is: how do we go about
>
> doing this
> One idea I had was to set up a tiny second cache which is forced as
> parent for .ic.ac.uk - this second cache would then deny all access and
> we would replace the normal error-html with our own message.
> There must be a better way to do this?

Deny access to pages within ic.ac.uk using http_access and an acl and then
use the deny_info directive to return a custom error page with your message
on. You don't need two caches.

Cheers,

Chris

--
SQUID Frequently Asked Questions -> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ.html
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick