Re: netmail.web.aol.com unsupported method error.

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:39:56 -0600

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Josh Kuperman wrote:

> I get an "unsupported method" error from aol's netmail web site. I assume
> this is because it requires use of an unsupported method. I'd like to know
> if there is a way to support whatever method they are using.
>
> I'm currently using version 2.1 release. I'm probably going to upgrade soon
> anyhow, and I'd like to be sure I do what is required to make aol's netmail
> site is accessible. And if they really are using an unsupported method,
> then I don't want to wast the effort trying to get squid to support it.
>
> The error messages just says that the method is unsupported but doesn't
> give details. I guess it would be good if I could figure out how to tell
> what method is not being supported.

Actually, this is easy to reproduce.

The request is: POST https://netmail.web.aol.com/main.dci

I'll bet that you're using a Netscape browser. This is a bug
with Netscape. Its sending an invalid request. Instead of

     POST https://netmail.web.aol.com/main.dci

it should be

    CONNECT netmail.web.aol.com:443

Its not a squid bug, and in fact there is nothing Squid can do to
fix this problem. A newer version of Netscape should fix it.

Duane W.