Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:23:26 +0200

Chris Singer wrote:

> I'm running Linux 2.2.10ac12. Is there some patch to the Kernel that I
> should be applying to raise the number of FD's?

Alan Cox ac patch set includes all the kernel changes you need. The rest
is "runtime" configurable.

The next steps is to

1. Edit /usr/include/bits/types.h to define _FD_SETSIZE to at least the
number of filedescriptors you need to support.

2. Run (as root) "ulimit -HSn NNNN" where NNNN is again the number of
filedescriptors you need to support

3. Reconfigure and build squid (cd squid-2.2.STABLE4 ; ./configure ... ;
make clean ; make install) while running in a shell where you have
raised the filedescriptor limits using ulimt (step 2).

4. Change your Squid startup script to set the filedescriptor limit
using ulimit like in step 2 above. You also need to tune various options
in /proc (at least /proc/sys/fs/file-max, /proc/sys/fs/inode-max and
/proc/sys/net/ip_local_port_range, possibly others)

5. Start Squid. Verify that it reports the new limit in cache.log and
cachemgr.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker