Re: add something the all pages

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:24:27 +1000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Dancer wrote:
>
> > All that out of the way, yes. You _can_ do this. You just have to write
> > some software. But trust me. You don't _want_ to do this....not unless
> > that's all you want your customer-support people dealing with for the
> > next 2 years.
>
> Not to mention angry content providers disapproving with you adding
> things to their content... (some claim it is even a copyright intrusion)

Many major filtering systems do this sort of thing (N2H2 for example). I
think it would be a stretch to see it as a copyrigfht issue, though.
After all, web-content is made available to be passed to arbitrary
renderers...and some of those renderers (if you look very closely) also
add bits and pieces of their own to the HTML sometimes before actually
displaying it. (Netscape and MSIE both do this to a very minor degree on
_most_ pages).

Let's take a few small steps:
Sure, it's tiny, but suddenly we have a grey area...the browser can and
does add HTML code to a page. Does that infringe copyright? No...because
if it did, the company would not have a web-site.

When the page passes through a Famous Filtering System(tm), the system
adds clickable image to the very bottom of the page. Copyright
violation?

When a user contracts to a managed internet service, and -as a part of
that contract- wants a navigation bar added to the top of all feasible
pages. Copyright violation? And whose, exactly, if it is? Would it not
be one if it was done in a frame, for example?

A user clicks on 'Whats related' or opens netscape messenger, and the
request is redirected to show local content rather than content from
netscape. Violation? Of what, exactly?

Messy, ugly territory.