Re: Number of dnsserver processes?

From: Brad Meier <blm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:37:57 +0200

Blue Lang wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Williams Jon wrote:
>
> > Is there any technical reason to not modify the Squid source to increase the
> > maximum number of DNS processes beyond 32? I'm running squid on a box that
> > handles ~2,000,000 requests a day, and we have been gettting around 4-5
> > messages a day saying that we've got too many queued DNS requests. I've
> > configured 32 dnsserver processes, but that hasn't helped. I know where to
> > change the max, but I'd like to know if there was a serious reason not to.
>
> Are those messages coming from squid, or from some other logging system?
>
> And, I have to ask.. 2 million hits? What kind of hardware are you using?

They appear in cache.log, and if your link gets saturated so that DNS
can't resolve fast enough Squid gets a FATAL error and does a shutdown.
I had the same problem, 32 processes wasn't enough, cache is processing
around 1.4 million requests a day, PentII 350, 512M RAM, 45Gig swap on
5x9Gig wide scsi. Have "upgraded" to 2.3dev2 to get around the
shutdowns... not quite stable, but more stable than 2.2stable4 was with
the dns congestion.

Cheers
Brad Meier

--