Re: Number of dnsserver processes?

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:57:16 +0000

> be structured, I considered having the Squids setup to proxy content from
> their sibling's memory, while not caching it on their own disk. The notion
> being that it would be faster to retrieve from a sibling's memory than from
> your own disk - effectively, you'd have Nx as much caching memory, but much
> of that memory would be slower than the local memory. Never got far enough
> down that road to thoroughly test the notion, though...

What we've got is a setup where each cache knows the closest location of each
object in the contiguous cache cloud. So you always fetch content from the
best possible place - which will be the server if no cache has it or the closest
is far away - without any additional hops.

So to scale big, you just scatter several modest configurations of these
things all over the place (they're free, like Squid, unless you want support),
one near each large or distant group, like fileservers.

                                                        Jon