Re: Upgrade Squid 1.1 -> 2.2 - should I? (was: cache directory size)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:09:24 +0200

Tilman Schmidt wrote:

> I also see a disquieting number of patches for it on Henrik
> Nordstrom's web page.

The amount of patches on my Squid page is perhaps not a just measure. I
did not work actively on the Squid sources to the same extent in earlier
releases.

Please remember that many of the patches on my Squid page is not bug
fixes but new features or adjustments.

> stabilize a bit - 2.2S5 perhaps?

I doubt there will be a 2.2.STABLE5 as 2.3 is beginning to take shape.

> If I do upgrade now, is there a recommended set of patches to
> apply to 2.2S4?

There are a number of bug fixes on my page which I defenitely recomment
to 2.2.STABLE4. My current patchset to 2.2.STABLE4 is fairly well
tested.

> And do I have to upgrade my Linux kernel
> too? (Something I'd very much like to avoid!)

You do not have to if you are comfortable with your current patched
kernel. The recommendation to use Linux 2.2 kernels is primarily to
those who have not already patched their kernel for high
filedescriptors, for those is it recommended to jump to Linux 2.2 than
to try to patch an Linux 2.0 installtion.

Upgrading to Linux 2.2 may give you some performance increase as the
networking code is proven more efficient, but to make real use of it you
also need to upgrade your libc (preferably glibc) to a Linux-2.2
tailored version. Best bet is to reinstall with a distribution based on
Linux-2.2+glibc than to try to manually update an older installation
with newer kernel+libc.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker