FTPing to ftp.netscape.com & Squid 2.2 Stable 4

From: <info@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:13:50 +1000

I have tried to open an FTP connection to ftp.netscape.com though very simply
configured Squid 2.2 STABLE 4 using both IE4.5 & Netscapes 4.0.5 & 4.6.1 (with
browsers set to use my proxy) but failed with a read error messages from Squid.

WIthout any proxy set I can ftp to ftp.netscape.com in all software/versions.
Pointing my browser straight to my ISP who runs Squid 2.1PATCH2 & Squid 1.1.2 I
can do it too. Setting my ISP's proxies as parent caches in my proxy does not
change anything. My ISP does not transparently proxy my connection.

I can FTP everywhere else I've tested under all circumstances with all of my
configs unimpeded.

The only difference I could see is that Netscape seem to have 8 servers that
respond to ftp.netscape.com & perhaps something is not quite compatible.

(a) Am I the only one having this problem?
(b) failing (a) does anyone have a clue what my problem might be (cause I
don't!)

Marc Lucke