RE: Fundamental architecture of a proxy implementing keep-alive.

From: James A. Donald <jdonald@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:11:05 -0700

From: Dancer [mailto:dancer@zeor.simegen.com]

From: Dancer [mailto:dancer@zeor.simegen.com]
> A single thread of execution for everyone. select() or poll()
> coupled with non-blocking connect()s and such.

I find it odd that the non blocking connect is "less hungry", since if
we are polling then the thread runs continuously, and CPU usage should
remain stuck permanently at close to 100%, whereas with blocking
connects, and a separate thread for each connection, CPU usage should
drop to zero when there is nothing to do.

My proxy is not plannned to run on machine dedicated solely and
exclusively to proxying.