Re: How to apply patches

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:25:31 +0200

It depends a bit on the patch.

Patches fron NLANR are generally applied by going to the
squid-2.2.STABLE4/src directory and running
  patch <filename.patch

My patches are always applied by going to the top source directory
(squid-2.2.STABLE4) and running
  patch -p1 -s <filename.patch

The latter is also true for some patches published by NLANR.

In all cases you need to use GNU patch, as most vendors version of patch
is hopeless out out date.

For a better understanding of how to determine which method to use, see
the description of the -p option in the man page for patch, and how
patch determines the filename to patch (also in the manpage).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker