Re: (reiserfs) Re: files with numeric names (fwd)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:27:52 +0200

> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:20:21 +0200
> From: Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>
> To: Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
> Cc: reiserfs@devlinux.com
> Subject: (reiserfs) Re: files with numeric names
>
> Squid: average file size ~13K.
> INN: average file size <4K.
> My root file system (includes a small squid cache): average file size 25K.

A perhaps more important difference is that Squid deletes and recreates
files in "random" order, while I suppose INN has a somewhat more ordered
deletetion pattern.

> True. Maybe some of these things could be done better by mount options.

Indeed. Anyone interested in getting good performance from a INN or
Squid server should consider having the data on dedicated and
specifically tuned partitions. Having the filesystem perform "magic" is
rarely optimal and can (unless very well designed) open up additional
corner cases where the performance will unexpectedly degrade. My guts
tells me there will be no end on "magic tuning" for various workloads if
this is attempted. Squid and INN is only two examples, and I am pretty
sure there are other filesystem-intensive applications which has a
wastly different workload.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker