General problems of bloody beginner

From: Andreas Tille <tillea@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:35:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I tried to fiddle with my squid several hours reading docs and
FAQ but havn't found any way to track down my problem. First I
want to describe my environment:

Software:
Debian GNU/Linux (unstable = potato)
- squid 2.2.4
- apache 1.3.9
- netscape communicator 4.61

Hardware Environment:
Our institute consists of several houses. The main hause runs
a firewall. Other houses are connected via (slow :-() modem behind
this firewall. Inside our house the boxes are connected via
100 Mbit ethernet lines. I want to install a proxy to increase
speed inside our house.

I've setup the squid package on the Debian box "squid-host" and did my
first test from the Debian box "client-host".

If I set the netscape preferences to "manual proxy configuration"
and give in the HTTP section "squid-host.our-house.de" and Port 80
I can't reload the page I visited just before. Instead the server
replies with

  Not Found

  The requested URL /koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/ was not found
  on this server.

If I try to use Port 8080 Netscape replies with:

  Netscape's network connection was refused by the server.
  The server may not be accepting connections or may be busy.

  Try connecting again later.

  Using previoussly cached copy instead.

So I think port 80 is the right port but the cache doesn't work.
Surprisingly enough there are no cached files if I look into
/var/spool/squid directory except some files which are local and
should not be there (I specified in Netscapes preferences not
to cache URLs from our-house.de).

Further I tried proxy configuration via PAC file. I tried several
example files I found in the net but it doesn't work at all. It
just ignores the proxy :-(. Is there any way to debug such a file?
There is no error message or so, but not a single file reaches the
cache.

Do you need further information to track down the problem?

Hope not to bother you with such basic problems.

Kind regards

       Andreas.