Re: squid uses HTTP/1.0 ?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:13:41 +1000

Squid _does_ use HTTP/1.0, or at least announces that it does. I _think_
that's correct per spec, since (although it uses many features from
HTTP/1.1) it does not use the right set of HTTP/1.1 features to announce
that protocol to it's peers (by 'peers' in this sentence, I am referring
to any server that the proxy communicates with, not just siblings and
parents).

What I _do_ find odd behaviour is that the web-server is not giving out
Cache-control headers on a 1.0 request. There's no reason for it _not_
to....HTTP implementations are supposed to ignore header lines that they
do not understand...therefore, aside from a microscopic bit of extra
bandwidth, one should be generous and send the header...many
applications that do not support full HTTP/1.1 compliance support things
like Cache-control.

After all, many of the features that we take as read as being a part of
the 1.0 spec aren't in there. They didn't become official until 1.1.

I'd really class this as 'unusual' behaviour on the part of the
web-server.