DNS and Squid

From: John Hammer <jhammer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:44:57 -0500

I am a newbie so please be kind. I did search part of the archive and
didn't find what I needed, so here goes.

We are a college library running Squid 2.1.PATCH1 on Slackware. We use
Squid to provide access to our licensed databases for authenticated
off-campus users. After running without a problem for several months, a
few days ago we started having problems with people accessing Squid. I
found out our college's IS department had changed the address of our DNS
server. After changing the entry in the resolv.conf file, our users could
now access Squid but could not go on to the databases. The following
screen is returned:

http://xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com/itxxx/sanaxxx

>The following error was encountered:
>
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for
xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com

>The dnsserver returned:
>
> Name Server for domain 'xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com' is unavailable.
>
>This means that:
>
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
> Check if the address is correct.
>

>Generated Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:34:12 GMT by hermes.sac.accd.edu
(Squid/2.1.PATCH1)

However, when I access these databases from the campus, using the same
address but not going through the proxy server, I get connected. Using the
proxy from on-campus also gets the error message.

Do I need to change something in the squid.conf or in squid.sh? Any
suggestions will be accepted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John C. Hammer
Cataloging/Automation Librarian
San Antonio College LRC 210/733-2669 (voice)
1001 Howard St. 210/733-2597 (fax)
San Antonio, TX 78212 jhammer@accdvm.accd.edu