Re: load balancing

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:37:33 +1000

At Thursday 02:36 PM 16/09/1999 +0200, Maciej Kozinski wrote:
>Burak Demircan:
> >
> > How can i do load balancing on 2 squid
> > proxy servers? Or is it possible?
> > thank you
> >

>You can do that two ways: using dynamic DNS with load balancing or using the
>proxy auto configuration files with switching proxy servers via random value.
>The question appeared on that list som etime ago and the answer could be
>found in list archive.

Of course, if you are willing to invest in some hardware there are other
options ;)

Until recently we used a Cisco LocalDirector which did the job fairly well
and was smart enough to detect if one of the proxies was down and thus
intelligently directed queires to the other proxy if it was up, although
technology has moved on considerably since the time we bought the unit, and
devices like the Alteon ACE director are somewhat better and more
reliable. The LocalDirector had the advantage over DNS, that the proxy
always appeared to be up (round robin DNS won't give you this effect), as
long as both proxies didn't die - as proxy requests were sent to a
"virtual" interface which directed the requests to either of the two "real"
servers depending which of them were in service.

Like all things, the more you are prepared to spend the better performance
and redundancy you get.

Reuben