Re: SV: Hot Standby

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:02:55 -1000 (HST)

Jordan Mendelson writes:
> Mattias Paulsson wrote:
> > The last couple of days I've been researching ways to solve a much
> > similar problem and I've come up with the following URLs that might
> > be of help:
> >
> > Linux HA Project: http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/
> > EddieWare http://www.eddieware.com
> > Fake: Redundant Server Switch http://linux.zipworld.com.au/fake/
> >
> > Within a couple of days I will have tested these methods but until
> > then they're just pointers that might be useful.
> >
> > There is probably expensive hardware that will do the trick but
> > let's try a simpler approach, right?
>
> Maybe my reply didn't get through.

It got through to me, anyway, it's just that people had already started
replying.

> Current developmental versions of Squid
> support Cisco WCCP 1.0. WCCP is a very simple protocol which provides high
> availability and autodetection of cache servers. This is how it works:

Yes... however, part of the original suggestion was that the Squid
server should run as the default gateway and router for the network.
IMHO, that's not a good idea, and WCCP wouldn't help with it anyway.

> On your Cisco, enable WCCP (11.1 or later):
>
> rtr# conf t
> rtr(config)# ip wccp enable
> rtr(config)# int e0
> rtr(config-if)# ip web-cache redirect
> rtr(config-if)# end
> rtr# copy running-config startup-config
>
> With Squid 2.3, add the following to your config file:
>
> wccp_router your.routers.ip.address

This is very cool. Thanks for implementing it, and thanks for the
useful info! I'm saving it for my own reference.

> Squid should automatically start sending keepalive messages to the
> cisco router. The Cisco router will proxy requests over to your Squid
> server as long as Squid keeps sending keep alives. If Squid dies or
> the machine crashes, the router will use another WCCP enabled cache
> or route out normally.

I note that you have an implicit assumption that the Cisco is a lot
less likely to crash or fail catastrophically than the Squid software
or hardware. I believe this to be quite correct!

That is exactly why you don't want the Squid IP address to be the
default gateway.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.