Re: Squid cannot do windows update

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:20:31 +1000

Sindy CS YIP wrote:

> Hi, Squid users.
>
> I cannot do Windows update in Microsoft web site through Squid proxy and
> encountered the following error in the access log.
>
> 937562147.137 28 10.30.101.84 TCP_DENIED/407 955 GET http://windowsupdate.mi
> crosoft.com/selfupd.cab - NONE/- -
>
> Could anyone pls help if I could do so?

That looks like a proxy-authentication challenge. Log in. Start your
browser. (MSIE I presume. Whichever one it is that Windows Update
starts). Go somewhere out in the world. You will (I presume) be prompted
for your username and password for the proxy. Give it.

Leave that window open. Start Windows update. The browser subsystem
should already know your name and password. Of course, they may have
made a temporary mistake in their update system. Would not be the first
time.