FTP Mirror Tracker first public release.

From: Alexei Novikov <anovikov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:42:37 +0400

Dear All,
I'm pleased to announce a first public release of the FTP Mirror
Tracker. This is a set of scripts that is used for the transparent
redirection of the FTP requests via cache servers to the nearest mirror
servers.

You can get up-to-date information about this software from the FTP
Mirror Tracker WWW site <URL http://squid.itep.ru/>. Software itself can
be downloaded at <URL http://squid.itep.ru/tracker-0.9.tar.gz>.

I'm releasing these scripts as a first public beta because right now I'm
interested if the most CPU time consuming part can be rewritten in
C/C++ and give better performance. I don't see any reason to
change/add scripts other then to include easier configuration and for
bugs hunting.

Both the database creation script and tracker server-cache server
cooperation have been tested for a while in a production
environment. Inter-operation of the tracker servers has not been
throughly tested yet (this is another reason why I call this release
"beta").

This project was partially sponsored by the Trans-European Research
and Educational Networking Association <URL http://www.terena.nl>
under pilot project "FTP Mirror Tracker" CTR (99)003.

This software contains code from the mirror package by Lee McLoughlin
<lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>

It is released under the GPL.

        Sincerely yours,
                Alexei.