Re: transparent proxying/caching with freebsd

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:49:04 -1000

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 12:46:51PM +0200, Dan Larsson wrote:
> I'm looking for real world examples on how to configure transparent proxying/caching with two
> freebsd machines. In short I want requests on port 80 to be forwarded to machine B on port 3128.
> I've read the FAQ, but I'm still unsure on how to do it in with freebsd on both sides.

Which "both" sides are you talking about? It's unclear from your question
how the first (non-Squid) BSD machine comes into the picture at all. If
you're using it as a router with gated or a firewall host or something like
that, then it's an issue of using the routing or packet redirection features
of whatever software you're using on it.

If they can't do it, you may be able to use the NAT features of ipnat, which
is part of the IP filters package, but I'm not sure how ipnat would interact
with other software you might be running.

The basic rule is that to do transparent proxying, you need to intercept
at a point "between" the query sources (web browsers) and the Internet.
Usually that's the router for that ethernet segment, an Ethernet switch, or
a firewall. How depends on what you're using.

Hope this helps get you started in where to look.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.