ACL problems

From: Levitz, Paul <Paul.Levitz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:53:31 -0700

Hello-

I have a small cache going for a fairly small network (~140 machines) at an
elementary school. The cache has worked *wonders* at our site. However, I
have been having an ACL configuration problem, and have read the FAQ and
spent days searching for the answer. I hope this is not a 'repeated
question'.

I am using Squid 2.2.STABLE1 on Linux 2.2.xx

The following lines I added with no success. I am meaning for them to link
to a list of specific words to block in a URL. It's not important what the
blocked words are... I certainly don't mean for this to become any sort of
debate on morals and Internet use. :)

----begin squid.conf - added acl portion----

# SELF INFLICTED DIRT

acl localnet src 10.1.70.0/255.255.255.0
http_access allow localnet

acl porn url_regex "/etc/squid/porn"
acl notporn url_regex "/etc/squid/notporn"
http_access allow notporn
http_access deny porn

# NETWORK OPTIONS

----end squid.conf - added acl portion----

The files which the acl lines link to are standard text files (though I
didn't include any file extentions on them - namely .txt)

When the following lines are active squid works fine:

acl localnet src 10.1.70.0/255.255.255.0
http_access allow localnet

The last 4 lines of acl entries above I have disabled because when they are
enabled squid doesn't work at all. I have looked at many examples, and from
what I have seen my acl entries appear to be correct. Any suggestions?

My entire squid.conf file can be found at:
http://www.hbcsd.k12.ca.us/peterson/technology/squid.conf.txt

...in case that helps. :)

Any assistance would be *much* appreciated.
Thanks!
Paul Levitz
http://www.hbcsd.k12.ca.us/peterson/technology