Re: Sequential sever?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:28:18 +1000

Avi Saxena wrote:

> I just started to look into Squid log files -- it appears that Squid is a
> sequential server i.e. handles only one request at a time -- it is not
> multi-threaded. Is it right?

That's both correct and incorrect. Squid can service many requests
simultaneously. From the point of view of the user, it's doing many
requests at once. From the point of view of the code, it's only ever
doing one thing at a time, but that's true in any multithreaded or
multitasking system.

So it would not be true to say that squid handles 'only one request at a
time' from a broad perspective, since squid may be recieving data,
caching or delivering data for multiple users and multiple requests
without having to wait for any given request to terminate before another
can be handled.