Re: Sequential sever?

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:07:46 +0000

Hossam El-Ashkar wrote:

> Now that squid is known to be multithreaded or multitasked... Does it make
> use of parallel processing if existing... I mean if there are multiple
> processor on the machine running squid, does it make use of it? or it is
> just the OS that distributes the multiple threads on the different
> processors??

No, it does not make use of multiple processors. Squid is bottlenecked more
often on I/O than on CPU, so it is questionable whether it would be worth the
considerable additionally complexity.

Squid does have a limited threading facility - it makes use of threads to
launch multiple simultaneous disk requests (ameliorating said diskio
bottleneck), but it is limited in scope and effect.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025