Questions on cache_dir ...

From: Marc G. Fournier <marc.fournier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:45:26 -0300 (ADT)

First, really enjoying this software...its soooo cool to get an offcampus
web page loaded as fast as an oncampus one, with we have a pretty much
saturated pipe to the 'net :)

I'm currently building a Dual-Pentium server with 512MB of RAM and ~32Gig
of drive space available on her to use for this, but am curious as to how
you determine how much you need?

Basically, I'm still running a 'default server', pretty much, with
cache_dir set to just:

cache_dir /usr/local/squid/cache 100 16 256

Doing a du of the cache directory, I'm only using 21MB currently, and I
imagine that its growing...is there a point where it won't grow anymore?
Or will it just continue to grow until it has no space left?

Same with the cache_mem...I'm running teh default of 8MB on the current
machine (only has 64MB of RAM), but when I move it over to the 512MB,
where should I set it at? Is there something in cachemgr.cgi that I
should be watching to see that I'm full and should raise the buffer, or?

I'm still reading teh FAQ and User Guide, so these may be stuff that is
answered as I go along...?

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier marc.fournier@acadiau.ca
Senior Systems Administrator Acadia University

  "These are my opinions, which are not necessarily shared by my employer"