Re: Bandwidth and load sharing

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:17:18 -0700

Hmm, hadn't considered that. It should still work for two machines,
though.

In a past setup, I had two Internet connections at home. One was a
fast/cheap/dynamic-IP connection, the other was a slow/expensive/static-IP
connection. I used a patched Linux kernel which allowed me to route
packets based on source IP address. Then, if a packet's source IP was from
the slow/expensive IP address, it would route to a different default
gateway than the default default gateway.

There were enough problems with the patch that I'm not sure I'd want to use
it in a production environment. The biggest one was that UDP traffic
wasn't handled correctly. Fortunately, I could use explicit routes for the
few places I was willing to accept UDP traffic from. Of course, that
probably wouldn't be a problem on a production server (all UDP traffic
would be local). And I have no idea if you can do source-based routes on
other platforms.

Later,
scott