Re: running out of filedescriptors!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 12:11:48 +0200

TURK Istvan wrote:

> I read the FAQ and I increased the /proc/sys/fs/file-max,
> but the error message continue!
> What`s the problem?

The FAQ is not very correct in how to support many filedescriptors on
Linux.

If your are running a stock Linux-2.0 kernel supporting only 256
filedescriptors, then the recommended action is to upgrade the kernel to
2.2 and rebuild Squid, that will give you support for 1024
filedescriptors.

If that isn't enought then the current recommended method is running
Linux-2.2.12 + recent version of glibc. See my Squid page
<http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/> for details on how to set up the
system and rebuild Squid to allow any number of filedescriptors.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker