Re: [UNIXS] Proy servers (fwd)

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:36:45 -0600

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Like, how do I explain to the anti-open source advocates in our group the
> reasoning why a product like Squid, developed by the group that was
> commissioned to do the comparisons, wasn't included in the comparisons? :(

(1) For these tests, the editor invited a number of companies to
    be tested. We were not invited.

(2) During the last bake-off, we received some criticism for running
    the tests and testing our own product. There is a conflict of
    interest if we write both the benchmarking software, the caching
    software, and perform all the tests ourselves.

(3) Squid was represented by both Cobalt and Eolian. Perhaps
    you were not aware that Cobalt and Eolian are repackaged
    Squids?

If you'd like to see some benchmarking results for Squid under
the Datacomm-1 workload, I'd be happy to run those tests and
put it on our Web site.

Duane W.