masquerading+transparent proxy fails

From: Michael Feldmann <m.feldmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:17:13 +0200

I managed to set up masquerading on a SuSE6.2 with kernel 2.2.10. Working fine.
Trying to establish squid (2.2.stable3) as transparent proxy fails, however.

I followed the instructions in squid-FAQ (17.7 Transparent caching with Linux and
ipchains),

Now, ipchains -L shows the following rules:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target prot opt source destination ports
ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
ACCEPT tcp ------ anywhere babee.royal.net any -> www
REDIRECT tcp ------ anywhere anywhere any -> 3128 => www
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
target prot opt source destination ports
user_msq all ------ 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
Chain user_msq (1 references):
target prot opt source destination ports
MASQ all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a

The log files, however, show no SQUID activity, The cache size doesn't increase, either.

Any hints appreciated.

Michael

|\ Michael/| |----- Feldmann Bonn Germany