Re: Large scale transparent proxying

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:35:08 -1000

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 04:01:08PM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> Clifton Royston wrote:
> > I believe that's specific to the Linux drivers. *BSD (BSD/OS, FreeBSD,
> > NetBSD) systems seem to have no trouble with the EtherExpress cards.
>
> There are a few dozen different models/revisions of Intel EtherExpress's
> spanning a half dozen chipsets and three buses :)
>
> Several of the cards have hardware problems with the multicast filter. They
> would shut down and stop responding or worse.

  I realized after posting that that I should have been considerably
more specific. I've been waiting for some to come along and post the
correction, which I would now requalify thus:

  Reasonably new PCI Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B cards are reliable.

  Note that the very newest ones use a *completely* different chip set
which includes different Ethernet phys, and may not be compatible with
older releases of many OSes. I had to update some of our servers to
the latest patch level of BSD/OS 4.0.1 to start using them. They still
seem reliable, though.

> I find it amazing that a company as big as Intel can't make a working 10/100
> ethernet card and call it something other than "EtherExpress" since it's
> basically impossible to tell the difference between a broken eepro100 and a
> working one from the box :)

  That's why engineers love marketers so.

  We've been buying them OEM; if you buy 'em OEM in the clear
polystyrene package, you can at least look at the chips on it to see
what it really is.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.