Re: migrating from NT -> squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:05:41 +0200

attached mail follows:

Kris Carlier wrote:

> > and it is not as easy to integrate virus checking.
>
> For browsing you mean ?

Yes, virus checks performed by the proxy on content requested by
browsers.

> It's third party for starters, and I wonder how it integrates...
> Now, if you say it's not as easy, it means it's possible
> with Squid ? Are there redirectors doing this ? Not that I'm aware of
> (but I'm not a reference)

People doing it with Squid usually does it by having a separate proxy
with integrated virus checking, and have Squid forward requests thru
this virus checking proxy (or the other way around, depending on if they
see virus checking as a must or a extra service feature)

> OK, and MS Proxy (2.0) is touted to also be a Socks-server (4.0 !)and it
> should also do Winsocks proxy. The latter requires installation of client
> software, the former requires sock-ified client software.
> I wonder why squid + masquerading would do less (flexible).

Squid + Socks5 + masquerading will be more flexible I think. The point
is that Squid alone can't do everything, and you need separete products
to do those other things.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker